Insurance 101

Your guide to meaningful coverage

Unless you live it every day—like we do—insurance lingo can be daunting. As part of our goal to become your trusted partner, we're answering the questions and demystifying the terms most frequently asked by our clients.

  • What types of religious organizations do you insure?

    We insure nearly all faiths and denominations, including churches, synagogues, mosques, temples and other faith-based organizations of all sizes.

  • Is Glatfelter Ministry Care right for our organization?

    Our coverage is designed for worship centers and organizations of all sizes, with or without multiple satellite locations. We also specialize in complex risks that many other insurers do not, such as special events, rock walls, daycares and Mothers' Day Out.

  • How is the price of our coverage determined?

    Numerous factors influence the price of a religious organization's insurance quote. Glatfelter may quote a price based on:

    • Size of the building(s)
    • Size of the congregation or number of members
    • Claims history
    • Your location and common risks of that area
  • How do I purchase insurance through you?

    We recommend working with your local insurance agent or broker to help you apply for coverage with Glatfelter. Any independent insurance agent is able to work with our programs. If you don't have an agent, or work with an agent contracted to a particular insurance company, just let us know and we'll be happy to help identify a good agent in your area. Find an agent here.

  • What coverages are available for my house of worship?

    We offer the following coverages for religious organizations:

    • General Liability
    • Automobile
    • Excess Liability
    • Property
    • Crime
    • Religious Counseling Services Liability
    • Sexual Abuse and Molestation Liability
    • Religious Expression Liability
    • Religious Organization Management Liability
    • Foreign Liability
    • Employment Practices Liability
    • Workers' Compensation
    • Missionary Travel & Accident
    • Broadcasting Liability
    • Security Enforcement Liability
  • Do you provide coverage in all states?

    Almost! We insure worship centers and religious organizations in all states except Hawaii.

  • Who is the primary insurance carrier?

    We're backed by an A.M. Best "A" (Excellent)-rated company.

  • Do you offer premium financing?

    No, but we do offer premium payments on installments based on the amount of your total annual policy premiums. Your local insurance agent can also help you find an appropriate premium financing company. There is no additional fee for paying on installments.

  • Is Hired and Non-owned Automobile Liability coverage available?

    Yes, this coverage is available for anyone who qualifies. There is an additional premium charge for this coverage.

  • How do I file a claim?

    To file a claim, please contact your local insurance agent. We've broken down this process on our Claims page.

What is . . .

Abuse & Molestation Liability?

This coverage is intended to help organizations financially respond to allegations of sexual abuse. Unless an insurance policy specifically mentions this product, it's not safe to assume it's included under general liability—so be sure to ask your agent about it.

Agreed amount?

If an insurance policy mentions “agreed value”, you and your insurer will “agree upon” the value of certain items in your facility. If these items require replacement under the conditions of the policy, you will be given that amount to help make your house of worship whole again.

Blanket insurance?

When there is more than one type of property at the same location or the same kind of property at multiple locations—some insurers will offer “blanket” coverage to cover them all.

Broadcasting Liability?

This coverage is designed to help organizations financially respond to accusations of defamation or invasion of privacy via various media channels.

Crime Coverage?

Crime coverage helps protect religious organizations against various types of crimes. Each policy is different and you should ask what types of crimes yours specifically protects against. Some key coverage to consider includes employee theft, robbery and computer fraud.

Excess Liability?

Excess refers to higher coverage limits that can be purchased to help protect religious organizations.

Foreign Liability?

This coverage is designed for religious organizations with activities outside of the U.S. or organizations that have employees or volunteers who travel outside of the U.S. while fulfilling their mission.

General Liability?

General Liability, also referred to as GL, can cover a wide variety of exposures—and it's important to know which coverages are included in your policy. For example, we have Freedom of Expression Legal Expense, Religious Counseling Services Liability Coverage, Security Enforcement Activities Liabilities and more included under our “GL” product.

Hired & Non-Owned Auto Insurance?

Do your employees use their own vehicles while on-the-job? Does your organization rent vehicles for trips or other purposes? Check your policy to see what protections are available for those situations—this can sometimes be found under "Hired & Non-Owned Auto Insurance".

Missionary Travel and Accident Coverage?

If your members travel to help fulfill your mission or help those in need, you can use this coverage to better address risks like medical expense benefits, emergency medical expense, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation and emergency benefit reunion.

Religious Counseling Services Liability?

If you've heard of “malpractice” lawsuits for doctors, this is similar. All types of professionals can be sued when they give advice, and unfortunately, pastors and religious leaders are no exception. This coverage can provide assistance if your advice is ever challenged.

Property Coverage?

In the “insurance world,” houses of worship have two primary types of property—Real Property and Personal Property. Typically, Real Property includes foundations and fixtures. Fixtures can include pipe organs, stained glass and exterior signs. Personal Property refers to computer equipment, communication systems and library property.

Property Insurance can cover a wide variety of perils such as weather-related damage, equipment breakdown, food contamination, fine arts, trees and sewer water backup. It's important to see what your policy includes and understand whether or not it's tailored to the needs of your organization.

Religious Expression Liability?

Religious organizations can be sued for refusing to host an event that doesn't align with their religious beliefs. This type of coverage is designed to financially assist places of worship for intentional acts of religious expression.

Religious Organization Management Liability?

Employment-related lawsuits, including allegations of discrimination, wrongful termination and sexual harassment, are becoming increasingly common. This coverage helps cover the costs of claims arising from situations like these.

Replacement cost?

Replacement cost provides you with the amount of money that it will take to repair or replace items as outlined by a policy.

Security Enforcement Activity Liability?

Security personnel and teams are becoming more prevalent for houses of worship. This coverage helps protect security teams and their actions while working to protect your organization.

Special Event Coverage?

Special events like fairs, festivals and fundraisers can be great for boosting community support, but they can also pose unique risks. And these risks are often not addressed in a traditional policy.

Workers' Compensation?

Common risks—like slips and falls—can be costly to religious organizations and their employees. Workers' Compensation helps provide benefits to employees who are injured on the job.